Let's be honest; a smelly nether-region is a recipe for a bad date and ruined evening. Aside from penile odor being off-putting, it can also be a symptom of something more serious, like an infection. Here are some of the possible reasons that a guy's penis smells.
If you took a poll, penis odor would be on top of the list of potential date or evening disasters. Granted all genitalia has an odor, extreme penis smells can be a sign of something potentially serious, or it can be due to poor hygiene. Most of the time, ensuring the penis is clean will keep the odor at bay. However, some conditions will lead to a foul smell. Below are a few common causes of a smelly penis. Remember, seek medical treatment if you have bloody discharge or pain.
1) Smegma is an accumulation of dead skin cells, natural oils, sweat and moisture that occurs in both male and female genitalia, although it is more common in uncircumcised men. Smegma collects underneath the foreskin in males and it has several distinct characteristics: thick, smelly, cottage-cheese looking discharge or pearl-shaped lumps underneath the foreskin. Smegma shows similar characteristics of other infections below, so make sure to keep an eye on any other symptoms you're experiencing.
2) Non-gonococcal urethritis (NGU) is an infection of the urethra caused by pathogens other than gonorrhea. NGU is often caused by chlamydia and is transmitted sexually. In males, symptoms appear as smelly discharge from the penis, burning during urination, itching or a stain in your underwear. Seek medical treatment if you feel you've been infected with NGU as you will need antibiotics to treat the infection.
3) Dry skin can actually cause a smelly penis, as dehydrated skin eventually will crack and leave these areas prone to bacteria and later infection. As the penis skin is very delicate and fragile, it is wise to keep the skin moisturized, so the skin will stay intact. The drier skin, the more likely you are to get penis odor.
4) Tight-fitting clothing is a culprit of penis odor. The genital area is a perfect breeding area for bacteria to grow and fester, as it is dark, humid, hot and all the moisture is trapped. Keep the area dry and clean in order to prevent an unpleasant smell underneath your clothing. You and your partner will thank us.
5) Thrush is very common and has some common symptoms of other infections as well, why it is so important to be aware of any changes in your body. Thrush usually occurs around the head of the penis and it may be irritated, red and sore, painful and you may have a burning sensation during urination or white discharge resembling cottage cheese. Seek medical treatment to help.
At the end of the day, penis odor is sometimes inevitable. How to get rid of a smelly penis, you ask? Keep it clean. After correctly washing the genital area by lifting the folds of skin and ensuring you've cleaned them all, dry and moisturize your skin with a product made specifically for skin, like a penis health crème (health professionals recommend Man 1 Man Oil, which has been clinically proven safe and mild for skin). This particular health crème is a super weapon, containing vitamins and nutrients essential to the wellbeing of private area skin, like vitamin C, for collagen production, and Shea butter, which hydrates the skin leaving the area soft and smooth. Keep the penis skin clean, dry, and hydrated for optimal health.This particular health crème is a super weapon, containing vitamins and nutrients essential to the wellbeing of private area skin, like vitamin C.